Tuesday 13 October 2015

The Possibility of Marriage

Image courtesy of pengrin

1. What dataset will you use for your final report?
     I chose a large dataset that details currently married men and women around the world. This dataset is provided courtesy of the United Nations data site, compiled in 2012, and reaching back to pull data from as far as the 1970's.

2. Describe the dataset. What kind of data does it contain?

     In this dataset, it's possible to see the amount of men and the amount of women married in the different countries of the world. It's broken down into age categories, time periods, and sex (men/women), as well as whether or not the numbers include consensual unions (the unions that are not formally recognized by dominant laws). The UN also provides great detail on the further areas of the population that have been excluded from the dataset, and other limitations such as low census return rates.

3. Is there anything about your data that you don’t understand? How will you find this out?

     One thing I'm not certain of with this dataset is whether the numbers represent a percentage of that age group within the population, or something else. I have this doubt because of the ridiculously high numbers in certain populations. 96% of men aged 40-44 in 2008 in Afghanistan seems steep. Conversely, it's confusing to see that only 80% of women in the same place, year, and age bracket are married. I think this might be explained by the ratio of men to women being lopsided, but it's something I'll have to explore.

4. What are some questions you hope to answer with your data? List at
least three.

     To start, I'd like to know which country/year/age/sex has the highest number of married people, and which has the lowest. That's the obvious stuff. I'd like to contrast first world countries with each other, and also with third world countries. I'd like to compare European countries with North American countries, as well, to see if I can find a discernible difference that might be attributed to different cultural practices. I'm also interested in finding out which countries have the highest ratios of men to women married, because, as noted above, there are discrepancies there that intrigue me. Finally, I'm interested in answering the question of how marriage rates in different countries have changed over time. 

5 comments:

  1. It is a very large data set indeed. UN did a very good job on this data set though, it's detailed. I found this data could be very interesting to research. I hope you can find out your concerns and get a good report out of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you will do a lot of things for this huge data set, and I think world fusion map will be a good way to show this data more visually. Hope you can find some interesting answers based on your questions and share with us in your final report. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is a great idea to find out the currently married men and women around the world, to do that , the fusion map could be a great tool for you to analyse it. secondly, due to the different regions background European countries and North American countries can have a different marriage ratio. I am expect to see this in your final assignment, and it is a great job and good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a pretty interesting data set you've found! There's a lot of info here. Because of the sheer amount of information be careful to really hone in on a focus; your point on the disparaging numbers in Afghanistan was more interesting to me than a global comparison. I think you've got some awesome options!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it is really ambitious of you to choose such a large data set, but you did a great, concise job of narrowing down the focus of your story and pointing out the issues with the data, such as disparities in the ratio of men to women in some countries. I agree with the previous comments recommending the use of a map to illustrate your data. The only issue I had with your post was locating the link to the data set itself as the hyperlink wasn't very obvious until I hovered over the word.

    ReplyDelete